Dearest Daughter –
You are such a gift. Your morning coos from your crib, your sweet giggles in the bath and even your dramatic temper tantrums have enriched our lives in ways we’ll never be able to fully describe.
Like any good thing, we can’t get enough of you. And selfishly, we want more. More of YOU and more FOR YOU.
You will always be our first. But come December you won’t be our only.
You have too much love in your little body for us to bottle up for ourselves. You’re brave, adventurous and kind. If a mother could dream up the perfect big sister – she would be you.
Just like I have big hopes for you as an individual, I now fall asleep at night dreaming up your life as a sister.
- Those first few weeks (and maybe months) are going to be hard. I hope you’ll never doubt how much I love you. Mommy may look tired, I might even cry. I promise you those will be happy (and maybe a little exhausted) tears of gratitude. Not just for that 6-7 lb little intruder – but for YOU. My perfect little 22-month-old princess.
- You’ll be graduating to a big girl bed and big girl room. This isn’t to punish you. This is to celebrate you. I’m so proud of you and all you’ve learned. You’ll always be my baby, but you’re a little girl, too. We’ll overflow your bed with big girl pillows and dolls. You can even help us pick out your new sheets and blankies. And when it’s bedtime, you can help Mommy tuck your baby sister or brother into their crib. I’ll proudly watch you assure them that it’s a safe and happy place to lay their little head down for the night.
- Come December you will be more than just my hero. Your sibling will watch EVERYTHING you do. He or she will eventually mimic you and stumble and fall trying to keep up. Being a big sister comes with a lot of responsibility. I know you’ll be up for the job. And it’s one that will never end – you’ll have a lifelong friend and you’ll be a lifelong mentor. How lucky are you?!
- I promise we’ll still have adventures just the two of us. To this day, my 29-year-old self still relishes alone time with my own Mommy. You and your new playmate will surely have special sibling adventures, but on a regular basis we’ll sneak out for solo park trips and ice cream dates. I would never give up that precious time together.
- I hope you’ll recognize early that comparison is the thief of joy. Sure, you see other children on the playground now. But with a sibling, it will sometimes be easier to notice they might excel at some things more than you. I promise you that you’ll have your own special talents. I hope your heart will swell with pride for your sibling and for yourself.
My Dress (similar) | Bauer’s Dress is no longer available (other styles from the designer)
I remember being terrified the days before you joined us. I kept telling myself we’d love you with all our hearts and so there was no way we could fail.
You might be a little scared now, too. But I know the moment your arms trade your baby doll for your baby sibling, your heart will melt right alongside mine.
I love you,